By Kim Jones, CEO, Curriki
Teachers are everything. As educators, you have an enormous responsibility of shaping the future and influencing the leaders of tomorrow – the doctors and lawyers and politicians, the woodworkers and plumbers, the carpenters and builders, the mothers and fathers. It’s up to you whether this influence is positive or negative, whether you build up or tear down.
So as the National PTA promotes Teacher Appreciation Week, I want to take a moment to recognize the life-changing contributions of teachers. Thank you for all you do for the many children that pass through your classrooms year after year.
What Makes a Great Teacher?
Studies show that the biggest factor that determines the quality of a child’s education is his teacher. Greatschools.org has a terrific list of characteristics that make a teacher great:
- Great teachers set high expectations for all students.
- Great teachers have clear, written-out objectives.
- Great teachers are prepared and organized.
- Great teachers engage students and get them to look at issues in a variety of ways.
- Great teachers form strong relationships with their students and show that they care about them.
- Great teachers are masters of their subject matter.
- Great teachers communicate frequently with parents.
It’s a tall order! Do you have anything to add to the list? Can you think of a teacher you had who would qualify as great?
Your role in shaping the young minds that will guide our planet into the future is vital. And Curriki will support you every step of the way as you strive to be a great (or greater!) teacher.
Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!
Kim Jones is the Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Curriki. Kim is active in driving policy initiatives and is regularly featured as an honorary speaker on the impact of technology in education at influential meetings around the world. Learn more at Curriki.org.