By Kim Jones, CEO, Curriki
A more flexible and adaptable and even personalized approach to teaching is now available, by incorporating Open Educational Resources (OER) in the classroom. Curriki is a leader in providing K-12 OER to anyone, anywhere, at no cost.
Here are 7 tips for using OER. Use any 3 of these and you will already be a Guru of OER!
1. Use OER to supplement textbooks in those areas that are weak or have limited coverage. Benefit: stronger syllabus
2. Use OER as a source for, and/or to enhance, homework assignments. Benefit: better assignments
3. Use OER for a classroom project or for some portion of a project. Benefit: improved projects
4. Modify OER to your requirements and reshare with the global education community. Benefit: content adapted to your need and you help others
5. Assign OER content to help students who are struggling with a topic, or conversely those who want to explore a topic in further detail. Benefit: personalized learning
6. Use OER as a full course (if you are not mandated otherwise), or as a supplementary unit in a course. Benefit: free standards-aligned full courses
7. Search on Curriki for the best resources to meet your requirements. Benefit: choice of tens of thousands of resources means a high likelihood of finding an applicable resource
Curriki has tens of thousands of OER classified and searchable by subject area, type of resource, format, standards-alignment, ratings and recommendations and more. Employ some of these free resources in your classroom this month!